Wednesday, December 29, 2004

From The South End of A North Bound Camel | Lord Jesus Save Me Now!

I'm home from work today, and have at last been plowed under by the horrors of winter time. I feel like, well, read the title...

And this morning, around 11, having at last managed to fling myself from my bed, I made way to the grocery store. A long and perilous journey, this was, as I walked across the street, and entered the Giant, directly across from my house...

Colds for me mean one thing, and one thing only. Chilis. And some sort of meat. So, two things really, but I don't count very well. It's just something a programmer never does.

So, anywho, I think you can best call this Cajun Pot Roast with Roasted Potatoes. And that's an estimation mind you. I do know that my brother cried out to his redeemer when he took his first bite, but "Oh God" is a little dramatic for a recipe title, wouldn't you say?

You'll need:

1 Chuck Roast. I didn't pay attention to how big. It was on sale for like 6 bucks. Sue me.

1 Can Beef Broth/Stock
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
3-4 cloves garlic, chopped
4 strips of chopped peppercorn bacon.
2 tbls Olive Oil
1/2 cup of Orzo Pasta
Oh yeah, a crap load of tabasco. Because we're going for SPICY!!!!!

Also,
5 Potatoes

Put olive oil on pot on medium heat. Add bacon and render down. When the bacon is cooked, add the trinity (onion, celery, pepper). We want a good browning going on here - fusion of UNCLEAN bacon grease and standard cajun flavoring. You will weep, I promise you. And not because of the onions.

When you're satisfied, throw in the garlic. Cook for about a minute or two, we don't want to overcook the garlic, because that's just unpleasant.

Remove the contents of the pot to a plate or some other container. i.e. set aside

Turn burner to medium high. Brown the chuck roast on all sides, or rather, as best as you can manage, because its not exactly easy to handle inside the pot...

When we've got a good char on that puppy, add in the beef broth/stock and the trinity/UNCLEANpork/garlic made earlier. Pump in as much tabasco as you can handle, wuss. Turn burner down to low. As in as low as she'll go and still cook it.

Now, sit on your ass for 4 hours.

When hour 4 arrives, peel or wash the potatoes (up to you). Chop into eights and toss with some olive oil, salt, pepper, and minced garlic. Lay out on a baking sheet and bake in the oven for 1 hour at 350`.

At 4 and a half hours, add the orzo to the pot and stir. The smell should make you want to cry.

When hour 5 arrives, prepare to swoon.

Pull out the meat and shred with a fork. Add back to the pot. Now, take out the taters put them in the pot. Stir.

Put in bowl. Eat. Mop up left over goodness with crusty french bread. Praise the Almighty. For cows, for taters, for Cajuns, for your roommate being away so you can eat bacon, and, as perverse as it sounds, for being sicker 'en snot. Why else engage in such extravagance?

P.S. - On a side note, this whole thing cost me 7 or 8 bucks. You should always stock onions, celery, bell pepper, garlic, and pasta. So I only paid for the meat ($6-7) and the can of stock ($1).

Also, I still feel like what comes out of the south end of a north bound camel, but now I'm at least a little chipper, ya know?

Now, where's the 'tussin?